Skip to main content

Passport Photos--Good for a Laugh

The first adventure of the day was to obtain a visa extension from the immigration office.  We all went down and met Stella and another employee, Jason, who is familiar with this portion of documentation.  Jason said he didn't think that the whole family needed to come.  So the girls and I went back up the elevator.  In what was too short of a time--given all of our other experiences, Tom returned.  I was surprised to see him so soon. That was because nothing happened.  They got to the immigration office to learn that Tom wasn't allowed to enter.  Jason went in to work on the process while Stella and Tom waited outside.  He learned that our extra passport photos we brought would not work and the whole family needed new photos.  Not a problem.  A second attempt was arranged for 1:30.

At 1:30 Stella calls and says the 'car broke down'.  So we waited.  About 2:30 they pick us up.  Turns out it was just a tire pressure light, not broken down.  Translation difficulties.  

We head for passport photos.  I'm thinking a Walgreen's type experience.....  in and out.  I would have NEVER imagined what happened.

We were taken to a photography studio.  After waiting a while they asked for "only one girl at a time" to come.  Not knowing what we were doing, I went first.  I was taken upstairs and asked if I wanted to change clothes.  ???  Did I need to?  I was so puzzled.  I asked if it was required. It wasn't, but I had to take off my necklace.  (I figured out later that if I didn't like clothes for pictures, I could just use some they had.)They took me to a salon chair and proceeded to plaster on some serious eyebrows. (Stella photographed for us.)  I was really trying hard not to giggle.  When they tried to put on more make up, I declined.  It did not look especially sanitary.  Then I got a new hair do.  It wasn't really new, thankfully, but I got a new part, my frizzies glued down and my hair meticulously tucked behind my ears.  They were so careful with every detail. Then I was taken downstairs for the photo shoot and Tessa was taken up for the 'do'.  When the others saw me they thought grandma had gotten an eyebrow pencil!  


In the photo shoot, I had to sit exactly so.  She looped my shoulders back, tugged my hands to my side, adjusted my chin just so.  Then she got behind the camera.  I thought I hadn't moved, but apparently I had and she rattled directions in Chinese as to how to fix me.  I wanted to comply, but just couldn't. I finally summoned Tom for translation.  Smile just so, not too much, no teeth, no a little more, lift your chin, tilt your head, no not that much...... I was not a good candidate, but I finally was told I was finished.

Then Tessa came down the stairs.  She got the same eyebrows! 




   Then it was Tessa's turn for the photo shoot.  This is very serious stuff for them--it had to be perfect.  



Here is Greta:  (the hair dresser didn't quite know what to do with her curls!  She brushed them out to frizz.)


When Tom came down the stairs I busted up.  He had to put on a 'western' jacket and get plastered eye brows too.  


This was such an entertaining experience!  I hope it wasn't hurtful to them that I giggled often.  It was just so different from what we are used to!   And they couldn't get over 4 pairs of blue eyes!

The result:  (which one of these is not like the other???  The naughty one who got impatient and removed her eyebrows before the photographer called her back...in hindsight, I wish I would have left them on!)

Since we had a gala to attend that evening, all of the eyebrow pencil was removed before we left the studio.  We walked across the street to the immigration office and waited while Stella and Jason handled that.  After a while, Jason came out to get the passports to put the extension in them, but we were late for our factory tour and meeting with President and Mr. Hu so we were whisked away in the van by WJ for the next adventure without Stella and Jason.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountains and Merry Christmas!

As we approach our second Christmas here, even though our hearts yearn for home and family, we're thankful for this 'assignment' to serve here in China.  We have learned much, experienced much, gained greater perspectives and learned for ourselves the reality of walking with Jesus Christ.  At this season we're extraordinarily thankful for Him.  He is our Savior.  He is our strength. He is our Friend.  We can only hope to be a light to others here.  This year we've had some mountains to climb--both physically and symbolically.   Purple mountain in Nanjing Language acquisition is an ongoing challenge.  Even Tom, who speaks quite well feels stretched at times, which should give you an idea of the struggle of the rest of us.  I spend several hours a week learning and I'm still not speaking much and unable to understand responses when I am able to muster a few words.  But, Jesus Christ has been with us on this mountain.  Language acquisition is a process, not an even

Christmas 2023--A Wonderful Surprise!

Per our contract for living in China, our unmarried children get a free flight to come and visit us.  Chandler is the only one who qualifies for that, but for quite some time, getting a visa to visit wasn't even a possibility.  And when it did become a possibility, it was very expensive and required a 4 day stay in Washington DC or paying a whole lot of money for someone to go into the embassy to do that process for us.  It was not really in consideration.  But when Cache offered to do it for us while he was in DC for Thanksgiving, we decided to go to all of the effort to make it happen.  We decided to keep it a secret from the girls so it would be an amazing Christmas surprise. We did mostly well on the surprise.  Greta did hear me talking to Cache about the visa process one day back in November, but didn't think too much about it or ask further questions so we hoped that she hadn't really heard as I supposed.  I also had up the map of the Seattle airport on my computer so

Glasses Capital of the World

Quoting from Global Times: " There is a popular saying that "one out of  the two people in the world wear glasses with lenses from Danyang", East China's Jiangsu Province, known as China's "capital of glasses." From the research and development of relevant technologies to the actual manufacturing and sales, Danyang is just a snapshot of multiple domestic cities and towns that have become famous for concentrated and specialized manufacturing, while supporting the global industrial and supply chain. As the world's largest lens production base and the biggest eyeglass products distribution center in Asia, Danyang currently has more than 1,600 enterprises engaged in eyewear and associated sectors, official data showed."  We heard about Danyang from a friend and since it was only 15 minutes by train we went there to check it out.  Not including little shops on the street, there were two large buildings filled entirely with individual shops selling g